3DS Max 2018.2 released with new spline tools
Aug 30, 2017 by Paul Roberts
Autodesk has announced the release of 3DS Max 2018.2 with several new features, including:
- 3DS Max Batch to automate tasks using MAXScript or Python and to deploy 3DS Max on the cloud.
- A new Freehand Spline tool that allows you to sketch freehand splines in the viewport.
- A new Spline Influence modifier to create a soft selection of spline knots based on their proximity to specified objects.
- A new Spline Mirror modifier to duplicate a spline along a specified axis.
- A new Spline Morph modifier to blend between different shapes using progressive or blended methods.
- A new Spline Overlap modifier that detects self-overlapping splines and adjusts the displacement of the intersections.
- A new Spline Relax modifier to smooth out splines by relaxing knot positions and/handles.
- A new Optimize Spline modifier to reduces the number of knots and adjusts their handles to optimally reproduce the original spline as closely as possible.
- A new Influence Helper to easily select vertices and apply proximity based falloffs to effects.
- Changes to the PathDeform modifier so that it now works in object space and can also push materials onto the geometry based on the materials applied to segments.
- Improvements to the UVW Unwrap modifier
- 30% improvement in conversion times for CAD imports
- Viewport performance improvements