3DS Max 2016 brings node-based creation toolkit, XRef renovation
Autodesk has announced what seems to be one of the best 3DS Max releases in recent years. Max 2016 brings a new Creation Graph that allows users to extend Max’s capabilities, a long-awaited revamp of XRefs to allow for streamlined non-destructive animation workflows and many other features requested by users. Read on for the list of new features:
- New Max Creation Graph – a new node-based content and tool creation toolkit integrated by user request. Enables users to extend 3DS Max with geometric objects and modifiers. Users can package graphs and share them with other users.
- New XRef Renovations – externally reference objects to scenes and animate/edit material on the XRef object in the source file without having to merge the object into the scene, non-destructive animation workflows and improved XRef stability simplify collaboration among teams and throughout the production pipeline.
- Scene Explorer and Layer Manager improvements – working with complex scenes is now easier.
- New Physical Camera – supports real-life camera settings for visualization (developed with Chaos Group).
- New Iray and Mental Ray support – support for new Iray and Mental Ray enhancements.
- Alembic support – View massive data sets in the Nitrous viewport.
- Small user-requested features from the User Voice forum, which include viewport selection preview, Cut tool improvements, ability to visualize hard and smooth edges, etc.
- Camera Sequencer
- Dual Quaternion skinning – create better skinned characters in less time.
- OpenSubdiv support – create complex topology more quickly.
- Enhanced ShaderFX – create and exchange advanced shaders more easily.
- A360 rendering support (with subscription) – render in the cloud right from within 3DS Max.
- Easier Revit and SketchUp workflows – import data from Revit up to 10 times faster.
- Autodesk Translation Framework – exchange data with SolidWorks, other file formats.
- Multitouch 3D navigation support.
- New Design Workspace and Template Systems – the Design Workspace provides easy access to object placement, lighting, rendering, modeling and texturing tools to create high-quality stills and animations; built-in settings for rendering, environments, lighting and units.
- 3DS Max and 3DS Max Design are coming together.
Watch a new features video and find out more on Autodesk’s website.
New features overview
Max Creation Graph